Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Grocery Haul

Hey guys!

I try to go to the grocery store once a week to stock up.  It's a lot more time efficient than running in for one or two forgotten things every day, especially when I'm getting ready to start work next week!
I always plan meals and write out a list that follows the path I take through the store.  Hubby makes fun of me, but I get frazzled having to double back for every other thing and I like to be organized when I go in.  I think that it saves both time and money.  Plus then you know you'll get what you need, cut down on wasted food, and (hopefully) avoid picking up random junk food or overbuying because you're feeling hungry and impulsive.

Since school is starting here next week, I made sure that my plan included things to make healthy, out the door breakfasts and lunches.  Typically during the school year, I take a little time on Sunday afternoon to prep lunches.  I'm expanding this to include pre-made breakfasts because I am going to be substitute teaching for the time being and that means my schedule won't be as predictable as usual.  After I do my meal prep on Sunday I will post about what I'm doing for the week.

Dinner plans for the week are mashed potato casserole, bean and vegetable soup, zucchini Parmesan, pepper and zucchini enchiladas, tortilla casserole, cauliflower Italiano, and tuna noodle casserole.  I've had a hard time planning dinners with the super unpredictable weather here.  When I plan for salads, its freezing, and when I buy ingredients for soup it's boiling!  I'm hoping these might finally get it right.

Here's what was on my list this week:

Produce



For the week I got a head of iceberg lettuce, a head of cauliflower, a red bell pepper, a small bag of baby carrots, two zucchini and and yellow squash, two bananas, two nectarines, and red grapes.  The cauliflower, zucchini, and pepper are for various dinner recipes, while the baby carrots and grapes are for lunches, and the nectarines are to eat with yogurt for snacks.
Protein



For this week's dinners and lunches, I bought a package of turkey pepperoni, a bag of Morning Star crumbles (like non-meat ground hamburger), a can of kidney beans, and a bag of dried lentils.  The beans are for soup, the crumbles are for mashed potato casserole, and the pepperoni is for a cheese and crackers style lunch that I've got planned for the week.

Dairy



I picked up two half gallons of skim milk, provolone and cheddar slices, a block of Monterey jack, light margarine, light sour cream, organic vanilla yogurt, and shredded cheddar and mozzarella.  It seems like a lot of cheese, but it's all intended for specific things and should leave enough of each left over for next week as well.


Carbs



I purchased a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, which is mostly for Hubby's lunches since I don't really like sandwiches.  I also got whole wheat English muffins for breakfast sandwiches, Triscuits whole wheat crackers for lunches, and egg noodles for tuna noodle casserole.

Canned Goods



All of the cans I picked up for the week are for recipes: cream of mushroom condensed soup for tuna noodle casserole, mushroom tomato sauce for zucchini Parmesan, garlic and onion tomato sauce for cauliflower Italiano, and turkey chili, green chilies, and fiesta corn for tortilla casserole.


Treats



I usually try to have a sweet treat and a salty treat on hand for the week to cover all my bases.  This week I went with a box of Special K brownies and microwave popcorn (assuming I can keep it hidden from Hubby!)

Check out my Grocery Haul Video for the week here:



Don't forget to let me know what you think in the comments below and follow me on YouTube.

Stay stylish!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...